Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring Fever Awakens the Soul to God's Gift of New Life!



(Google Image)
 
WEDNESDAY CHURCH
 
on the Internet
 
(This is your mid-week Christian power
 
surge with Pastor Mike Fonfara, D.Min.)
 
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Easter Season, Week Two

 
 
Dear April Christians,
 
Have you caught it yet?  Spring fever spreads like wild fire in many communities.  Because of this magnificent malady, people are doing crazy things like replacing winter clothing with more colorful light-weight garb, looking in seed catalogues for this year's garden supplies, going on a diet to lose weight in hopes of shopping for a new swimsuit, and other antics of cheerful living caused by April's rainy days, return of the robins, and colorful seasonal flowers.  People are coming alive after a hard winter!
 
Spring fever affects our faith, too.  Congregations are happier, singing is peppier, and there's a rumor going around that the pastor got spring fever and preached a shorter sermon (well, maybe)!  There's no doubt about it.  Springtime is definitely God's blessing of spirited living!  Don't you agree?
 
This Wednesday Church blog thanks God for divine love shown to us during this season.  Also, thank you for becoming a part of the congregation for this week.
 
Pastor Mike Fonfara, D.Min.
Your Internet Pastor
 
WORSHIP
 
Opening Thoughts ... 
 
We join with the Earth
and with each other
to bring new life to the land,
to recreate the human community,
to provide justice and peace,
to remembher our children,
to remember who we are ...
We join together
as many and diverse expressions
of one loving mystery,
for the healing of the Earth
and the renewal of all life.
 
- Pat Cane
(found in Elizabeth Roberts and Ellias Amidon's
Life Prayers: from around the world (New York: HarperOne, 1996.)
 
The Gathering ...
 
"Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. 
Praise the Lord."
(Psalm 150:6  NIV)
 
Let us worship God!
 
 
We confess our sins and are forgiven ...
 
Out of the history of great prayers comes this confession by St. Augustine of Hippo (A.D. 354-430), who was the Bishop of Hippo Regius (in today's Algeria).
 
O Lord, the house of my soul is narrow;
enlarge it, that you may enter in.
It is in ruins, please repair it.
It is displeasing to you; I know and acknowledge it.
But to whom can I call for help, to clear and repair it, but you?
Cleanse me from my secret faults, O Lord,
and spare your servant.  (Amen.)
 
Here, take time to confess your sins to God.
 
These words from Romans 8:1,4b provide comfort for the faithful.
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the spirit."
 
Today's Scripture ...        Philippians 2:5 (NIV)
 
"Your attitude should be the same as  that of Jesus Christ."
 
Message ...          "Christians Have Two Citizenships"
 
Many years ago, I noticed a visitor at my church's Sunday worship service.  After worship, I had an occasion to welcome him.  I inquired as to his home town.  He replied , "Heaven."  Wow!  I had to question this.  So, I said, "Wait a minute.  You're from Heaven?"  "That's right.  I spend a lot of time at my house in Pittsburgh, but my home is Heaven where my Lord resides."  I began to get the picture.  My new friend based his life on Jesus Christ.  Everything else was just mission work.  He passed mission time on this Earth, but his eternal home is in Heaven.  
 
Where is your home?
 
(Pastor Mike Fonfara)
 
Dedication Prayer ...
 
Almighty God,
 
Wherever I am, You are there as well.  I declare that my eternal home is Heaven.  I will serve You here in this world, but I claim my place in your Kingdom in Christ's name.  Amen.
 
Benediction ...
 
"Get ready.  Get set.  Grow in Christ!"
 
 
 
(Pastor Mike's Photo of Camp Kirkmont's Cross) 
 
 
SACRED MISCELLANY ...
 
These quotes about faith can start you thinking with a new springtime faith perspective.
 
1. “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”
C.S. Lewis
2. "Do not think that love in order to be genuine has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired. Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.”
Mother Teresa
3. “Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”
Corrie ten Boom
 
4.  “Sometimes God allows what he hates to accomplish what he loves.”
Joni Eareckson TadaThe God I Love
 
5.  “The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.”
Søren Kierkegaard
 
6.  “Faith is not the belief that God will do what you want. It is the belief that God will do what is right.”
Max Lucado, He Still Moves Stones
 
 
Thanks again for worshipping today at Wednesday Church on the Internet.  Your presence is greatly appreciated.  Come by again next week when new material will be posted by 5a.m. on Wednesday, April 17th.  Remember, this site is your mid-week Christian power surge!  If you have benefitted from today's Wednesday Church, please tell a friend about it or share the link to Facebook.  Help this church grow!  If you have constructive suggestions, go ahead and share them with me.  Peace.
 
 
Pastor Mike Fonfara, D.Min.
 
 
 
(Pastor Mike's Best Cat Friend, Cheerios)
 
 

 

   
 
           
 

 
       
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment