Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Aging Means More Experience in the Art of Living



(Google Image)
 
 
WEDNESDAY  CHURCH
 
on the Internet
 
 
(This is your mid-week Christian power
surge with Pastor Mike Fonfara, D.Min.)
 
 
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Easter Season, Week Five
Older Adult Week
 
 
Good day, Wednesday friends! We get one day older every day.  No one can stop the process. Rejoice on your aging! Getting older brings on many benefits, such as wisdom, appreciation for the lasting joys, seeing your family mature, and memories. Most older adult worry less and play more because they learn what really counts in life.
 
In honor of of the older adults in our midst, Wednesday Church on the Internet joins with the faithful around the world - especially the Presbyterian Church (USA) - in celebrating Older Adult Week.
 
We are getting older. Let's thank God for the gift of years!
 
Pastor Mike Fonfara 
 
 
OPENING THOUGHT ...
 
It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they
grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams.
-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
 
 
WORSHIP SERVICE
 
The Gathering ...
 
Once, we were a people without light.
Once, we were a people without vision.
Once, we were a people without a Savior.
Now, we are a people with salvation.
Let us worship God for divine mercies.
Amen. 

 
We Confess Sins with the Assurance of Pardon ...
 
Gracious God: Search our souls and see our desires for authentic Christian lives. We try hard, but temptations often win over our resolve. When we fail as your faithful family, please pick us up.  Dust us off and encourage us to start once again. In the name of Jesus, forgive our sins. Grant us pardon for other chances to glorify your Holy Name. Thank You! Amen.
 
It is the truth that God forgives our sin and restores us to total wholeness once again. Our sins are forgiven in Christ's name!  Amen.
 
Today's Scripture ...         Deuteronomy 5:33 (NIV)
 

Walk in all the way that the LORD your God has
commanded you, so that you may live and prosper
and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.
 
 Message ...                          Growing Old Gracefully
                                                     by
                                               Dina Liles  

My first experience as a Geriatric nurse consisted of watching one of God’s saints take her last breath of life. Although she had fought a battle with Cancer, she left this world with a smile on her face.

With tears in my eyes I stared at her lifeless body and wandered why we waste so much time accumulating material possessions, only to have them devoured by others. The best part of ourselves that we can leave behind is memories and this saint left many good memories in her community and the nursing home.

“You’ll get hardened to it,” said my co-worker as we walked out of the room and down the hall.

“I hope I never do,” I replied.

I am retired from nursing now, but thank God that in the nineteen years of my nursing ministry with its frustrations and burn outs I didn’t become as she put it, “Hardened.” In my older age I’ve come to terms with my own death, and material things have become less important, because I realize that I’m getting closer to my Heavenly home. I have precious memories of these folks in their golden years, and some have gone on, but all their hugs, “Thank you,” and “I love you,” made my work worthwhile. I’ve watched the old grow older and the elderly fade away, and it is then that I understand the words, “Life is only a vapor.”

My neighbor’s husband said these words to her on his dying bed. “We’ve been together many years; yet it seems like a passing dream.”

There are so many things that I could have done different and I know that I can’t turn back the hands of time, but I can enjoy life as it is given to me now, one day at a time. There are so many things in life that we can enjoy without cost; such as sitting on the lakeside, or walking through the park watching the Master’s creation, and we can also thank God for every day of life, but most of all we can thank Him for the little things in life that bring us joy and happiness. Become a carefree child for a day and take time just to smell the flowers. When we can see the beauty in all of God’s creation we will enjoy life to its fullest. This is the joy and wisdom of growing old gracefully, and leaving many good memories
behind.
 
(www.faithwriters.com, accessed 4-29-2013)
 
Prayer of Dedication ...
 
God of All That Is: Aging is a gift! Help us to clear
our minds of all that happens in life that causes us
to forget this truth. We dedicate our lives to
serving You with the gifts given. 
Amen.
 
Benediction ...  
 
May God shower us with 
heavenly graces as we age. 
Amen.

 
(Pastor Mike's Michindoh Sunset)



 
SACRED MISCELLANY ...

1. Here is an opinion from the government about older adults' future demographics.

"According to the projections, the population age 65 and older is expected to more than double between 2012 and 2060, from 43.1 million to 92.0 million. The older population would represent just over one in five U.S. residents by the end of the period, up from one in seven today. The increase in the number of the “oldest old” would be even more dramatic — those 85 and older are projected to more than triple from 5.9 million to 18.2 million, reaching 4.3 percent of the total population."
 

2.  The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission presents these biblical thoughts on aging.

"Attitudes toward aging in general and toward elderly people in particular are especially important for Christians. The Bible teaches that old age is the blessing of God.

A. Old age may be the fruition of a moral life and an indication of God’s favor.
 
“Follow the whole instruction the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live, prosper, and have a long life in the land you will possess” (Deuteronomy 5:33).

B. Old age is a general part of God’s purpose for a normal life.

“He took his last breath and died at a ripe old age, old and contented, and he was gathered to his people” (Genesis 25:8).

“David son of Jesse… died at a good old age, full of days, riches, and honor…” (1 Chronicles 29:26, 28).

“Then Job died, old and full of days” (Job 42:17).

C. Old age may be one reward of those who honor their parents.
 
“Honor your father and your mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you” (Exodus 20:12).
 
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, because this is right. Honor your father and mother—which is the first commandment with a promise—that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life in the land” (Ephesians 6:1).

“If you walk in My ways and keep My statutes and commandments just as your father David did, I will give you a long life” (1 Kings 3:14).

“Gray hair is a glorious crown; it is found in the way of righteousness” (Proverbs 16:31).

(www.ercl.com/article/the-bible-speaks-on-aging - accessed 4/30/2013)


 3. I'm Aging Gracefully..... But, I Can’t Remember How!

I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a word you're saying.

I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my right leg.

I'm having trouble remembering simple words like ....??....

I’m in my metalic years with silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, and lead in my pants.

I’m in my initial years of life.  Check out these initials - SS, CDs, IRAs, Form 1040-EZ, and AARP.

Still, life is good!!!

(Pastor Mike)


Pastor Mike Thanks You ...

Thank you for worshipping with me during this week’s gathering of Wednesday Church on the Internet.  Come by again next week when new material will be published by Wednesday, May 8th at 5 a.m.  Remember, this social media congregation is your mid-week Christian power surge.  If you like this approach to weekly worship and feel that it has been a blessing to you, please tell your friends about it at www.wednesdaychurch.blogspot.com.  Perhaps you could share to facebook.  Let’s spread the Christian spirit together!  If you have positive suggestions, please share them with me.


Pastor Mike Fonfara, D.Min.
mefonfara@gmail.com


(Old and Still Smiling - Google Images)
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
        

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment